Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Remembering Brianna... in Her Dad's Words - Sept. 1

From Brianna's Father Matt:
It's been a while since I have posted an update and Jennifer has done such a remarkable job writing that I felt it was best to have her handle the writing duties, but I wanted to just include my words about Brianna from what I spoke at the beginning of the eulogy.
Losing Brianna has definitely become the single most difficult thing I have had to endure and to be quite honest it makes most other day to day problems seem quite trivial in comparison. She brought a lot of joy to all those who met her and I only wish that her youngest sister Gianna got more time to spend with her. Gianna says good night to Brianna every evening as she goes to bed and tells her she loves her.
Seeing Kaitlyn's growth as a person over this last year has been remarkable. Her caregiving of Brianna was really something to see. I am glad that Kaitlyn will be able to share stories of Brianna with Gianna so that she will be able to remember and know more about her oldest sister. As her parents and step-parents we are really proud of Kaitlyn and will look forward to seeing her grow into an exceptional young lady.
The difficulty of dealing with Brianna's loss is just beginning but it will really hit home even more as we get into the various milestones (anniversary of her diagnosis, first Thanksgiving and Christmas without Brianna, what would have been her 14th birthday, anniversary of her passing). It's difficult to comprehend the fact that all the hopes and dreams that we had for her won't come true.
We can't begin to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and deeds that they have done for all of us through this ordeal. I wish I could express to you how comforting you all have been. Just know that it will never be forgotten.
Now I will include the words that I spoke at the beginning of the visitation and wake.
"Brianna was a beautiful, bright, intelligent young woman that gave all of us so many great memories to carry with us for the rest of our days. Brianna’s strength and resilience is something that did not go unnoticed as she was growing into the young woman that she was becoming and held strong until her last breath on this earth.
As parents we are charged with the responsibility of teaching our children right and wrong, good and bad, and yet I found myself learning more from this gentle and quiet spoken young woman than I ever would have imagined. Strength and resilience are traits are usually handed down from parent to child but in this case it was the other way around.
Many of you have had the chance to look over Brianna’s artwork and can see the grace and creativity that she had and it shows through her art. That was most certainly a trait that she didn’t get handed down from me as it was her mother that was the artist.
Brianna’s battle against her cancer made me even more proud of her than I already was but it is not the last nine months that I will remember her most for. I will remember her most for her gentle and kind generosity to absolutely everyone she met. Her ability to make me smile and laugh with her many pointless stories (and I believe she might have gotten that trait from me!) or her attempts at telling me a joke when she would forget the punch line in the end. Not really what you would expect from someone with the last name of Sharp!
I can’t even count how many times when she was really little when she would say “Knock Knock!” and I would say “ who is there!?” and she would say…. Wait a minute let me try and remember! Brianna wanted so much to crack jokes just like her Uncle Dave and Uncle Jeff but couldn’t quite seem to catch on.
I look back on my time with Brianna and I am grateful that God chose Jennifer and I to be her parents. I will do my best to remember the lessons of strength and courage that I learned from her as I live out the rest of my days here in earth. And I will not take for granted one moment of my time with anyone as I have learned that it can be taken away anytime, anywhere and even without any warning.
Brianna was blessed to have many family and friends and it has comforted us to hear how she has touched so many lives in so many ways. We would like to thank you for coming to help us celebrate a life filled with a lot of love, laughter and so much positive attitude. We all have a lot to learn from her and I hope as time goes on that we can make her proud to have us as her parents.
I received many wishes of condolence and support of the past few days but it is one post I received on Facebook that really made me smile…
“Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones shines down to let us know they are with us”
I have found myself looking up at those very starts every night ever since her passing and smile.
I love you so much Brianna and I will miss you. You have been and always will be my bright shining star.
From your dad, Matt

No comments: