Monday, August 10, 2009

In Bob's Words - Brianna Remembered - August 7

Good morning...for those of you who do not know me, I’m Brianna’s step dad, Bob. In my time I have given many speeches and presentations, but I have never had to do one on such a personal level so I too ask that you bear with me. I’m not as eloquent of a writer as Jen, but I hope I can covey how the both of us feel here today.
We would first like to thank all of Brianna’s friends, our friends and our community for your unyielding support during our journey. From cards, to gifts to meals, phone calls and just chit chat out front…your actions and words of comfort gave us the strength to go on and has restored our faith in humanity. We stand before you humbled individuals.
To the medical community we say thank you. Your never ending pursuit of Brianna’s well being will always be remembered and appreciated. Your professionalism and care make you all very special caregivers to us.
To Brianna’s dad, Matt, we say thank you. After Bri’s diagnosis, you became our “minister of research.” We were always informed and knew that we could ask you a question and get a solid answer…good or bad. Your love for Bri showed and she loved you…and always will.
To our family…thank you from the bottom of our hearts. From the first day of Brianna’s diagnosis you have been there with your enduring and unwavering love and support. Know how much that has meant to us and Brianna. She was always amazed with the love and support received due to her!
To all of Brianna’s siblings…Kaitlyn, Eric, Haley, Zachary, Madison and Gianna… know that Brianna is in a much better place and is no longer in pain. Though she is not with us in the physical sense, she is always with us in our thoughts and prayers and will live forever in our hearts. Know that she loved each and everyone of you so much.
To Jen…what can I say? A women of unbelievable character and love. A woman with a laugh that warms my heart every time I hear it. You have redefined the word “mom” in many books. Your un-relentless ability to care for Bri 24/7, maintain your composure and be her rock was just amazing. You have touched so many lives with your eloquent words and yourself, brought peace and happiness into this world without even knowing it. Bri loved you so much that she had to make sure you were going to be ok. This was a promise I made to her. Once she knew this, I believe she found peace. You will forever share an unbreakable bond, an unbreakable love with Brianna. Know she loved you with her every fiber and will be with you always.
Today we send our angel back to Heaven. Brianna was destined for greatness with God. Brianna was always the first to offer a hug, offer to help or just give you attention…whether you wanted it or not! She had a beautiful smile, a wonderful laugh and the most subtle rose colored cheeks. Brianna was a story teller, sometimes telling stories that would never seem to end. When Brianna would be telling on of these stories, I would chime in with my standard “land the plane Bri”. I can just see her now talking with God and God turning to her saying…”land the plane Bri”.
Brianna was also a very loving child. Always with a hug and a kiss, always saying good morning and good night. Over the last month or so of her journey I loved helping her get out of bed and tell her this was my favorite part because I knew I was going to get a hug. What I wouldn’t do for just one more hug from her.
Brianna had a very strong love for family. Always asking when the next family party was, who was coming over, when Eric and Haley were coming, when her next time was to see her dad and Maria, and just a general excitement for the next gathering. She was also so polite. Always saying thank you, and yes, please. Even in her worst moments, she found it necessary to say thank you. I always said to her, “Bri, you don’t have to thank me…I should be thanking you.” And of course, that would get the standard, “whatever” response.
Before Brianna’s illness made her bed ridden, she would insist on going up the stairs to her room. I would always help her up the steps standing behind her and bearing her weight and listen to her apologize to me all the way up. Yesterday, as I walked up the steps at the funeral home I couldn’t help but smile as I know she is now running up and down stairs with the greatest of ease.
Brianna was also a very caring child towards others who where less fortunate than us. As part of our family ministry we deliver food to a local homeless shelter. We felt it important to involve the kids when we could so they would develop a sense of appreciation for what they have and an appreciation for helping those less fortunate. When Brianna finished with her last round of radiation, she asked when our next food delivery to Hessed house would be. I told her the date, and she replied “good, I can’t wait to go.” Unfortunately, she did not make the run do to her progression, but even in her moment of greatest pain, she was thinking of others…truly amazing.
Bri was also extremely artistic. I’m sure most of you have seen her work and have come to know her as a budding artist. We look forward to the day to see what she has painted in Heaven for us. I’m sure she having fun and keeping many angels and saints busy by showing them her work! I would also have to believe that she is rearranging all the paintings in heaven so they look just right!
This journey has changed our perspective on life. We used to think ones life was measured in the number of years that you lived. Now we say ones life is measured not in how many years you live, but how many lives you touch. As we look out here today, we can say that Brianna, though her years were short, lived one full life!
Brianna taught us the simple things. Enjoy a sunny day. Look up at the moon at night. Stop and listen to the birds. Say hello to a neighbor. Tell a loved on how you feel. Mend broken friendships and relationships and look at each day as a blank canvas. Imagine the possibilities if each of us did just one of those things…and all due to her.
As we say goodbye, we take comfort in knowing that Brianna has received her salvation. Though cancer took her body from us, it did not take her soul. We take comfort in knowing that she is in the hands of God and that we will be rejoined, as a family, together one day in God’s kingdom.
Thank you and God bless.

No comments: